Truck Accidents and Your Rights
If you would like to learn more about your rights, contact the Greenberg Law Offices to speak with a truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD offers. If you have been injured in a collision with a truck, you have the right to recover your damages from the at-fault party.
One person is injured or killed in a truck accident every 16 minutes. The United States Department of Transportation estimates that over 500,000 truck accidents occur every year. Given these numbers, it is important for drivers to understand and recognize the risks they face every day when sharing the road with eighteen-wheelers and other large commercial trucks.
Holding the Trucking Company and their Driver Responsible
Federal and state laws require Trucking companies to ensure that their vehicles, trailers and drivers do not endanger other drivers on the road. Many of these safety rules are contained in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, which specify everything from how often the trucks have to be inspected and when a driver has to be medically tested to how many hours a driver may drive in a 24 hour period.
Motor vehicle laws and motor carrier regulations can be complicated. A Baltimore MD truck accident lawyer from Greenberg Law Offices may walk you through the legal process. For a free consultation with one of our attorneys, call us at (410) 539-5250. The following general information may be helpful in advance of meeting with a truck accident lawyer in Baltimore MD.
In addition to the motor vehicle laws that every driver in America must follow, there are federal and state laws specific to truckers. When they don’t follow those laws and cause an accident which injures you, they can be held liable. A truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD injury victims hire may determine which of the following laws the trucker broke:
- Licensing. Commercial truckers are required to hold a commercial driver’s license and to keep it current. Depending on the type of vehicle and freight they haul, they may also need various endorsements. Without the proper licensing and endorsements, a driver cannot legally operate their truck. If a driver was not qualified to drive the truck involved in your accident, that driver may be held liable.
- Hours of service. Truckers must rest a certain number of hours between driving stints. This is to help prevent accidents caused by drivers who fall asleep at the wheel or unable to react fast enough to avoid hazards. A seasoned truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD commuters turn to for representation can review the trucker’s driving log. By comparing the log to arrival times and other pieces of information, the attorney can establish that the driver had driven for too long.
- Truck maintenance.Trucks often have a lot of miles on them and are driven in all types of conditions. By law they must be maintained, inspected, and serviced on a regular basis. If a manufacturer recalls a part then the part must be replaced or otherwise dealt with as per the recall. If a defective part caused the accident which led to your injury, your attorney may name the manufacturer as a defendant. A skilled truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD drivers recommend from Greenberg Law Offices has experience pursuing multi-party claims and lawsuits. Our attorneys have helped thousands of personal injury victims in complex claims and lawsuits.
- Maximum load.The amount a trucker can haul at one time is based on the size of his truck. Generally, a single axle truck can haul as much as 20,000 pounds and two-axle trucks can haul as much as 34,000 pounds. If a truck driver overloads his truck and causes an accident, a truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD relies on may investigate what the truck was hauling and the last time it was weighed.
- Quality control and product liability.The individual components on a truck are regulated in the manufacturing process and in the future repair process. It’s important that these parts are in good working condition at all times. If a defect in a part of the truck causes an accident, you may have a product liability case. Your truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD trusts may be able to advise you of your next steps.
- Hazardous waste. Some trucks haul hazardous waste materials and it’s crucial that the driver follows proper safety regulations. The Office of Hazardous Materials Safety (OHMS) creates these regulations, so your lawyer may check with these guidelines to determine if the truck driver was negligent. You could have a claim against the driver, the driver’s company, and/or the company that ordered the shipment of the hazardous materials.
To win your case, we need to prove that the driver, or another relevant party (such as the truck company or mechanic), was responsible for causing your accident. In some cases, we may be able to argue that several parties are technically liable, depending on the details of your case.
A truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD drivers hire to fight for them will tell you that the critical component of a case is negligence. There are many things that could point towards negligence, and the responsibility may be on the driver or on another party. The key is working with a skilled and trusted Baltimore truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident.
When you talk with a truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD residents recommend, you may ask us about what damages you can expect to be compensated for. This depends on the details of your case, but there are some general categories in truck accident cases.
Your damages may include:
- Medical expenses: Ambulance fees, hospital charges, doctor visits, and any other applicable medical care required after your accident.
- Pain and suffering: Physical and mental suffering caused as a result of the accident by stress, pain, anxiety, etc.
- Lost wages: Any time lost from work caused by the accident. This may include the initial recovery period as well as follow up health care appointments after the accident.
- Lost earning capacity: If your injuries from the accident are severe enough, you may be eligible for damages based on your future inability to earn money. A truck accident lawyer Baltimore MD relies on may be able to help you estimate this amount.
- Loss of companionship: This comes up most often in wrongful death cases in which an accident resulted in the loss of a loved one. However, there are cases in which the accident may have resulted in a loss of affection/relations in the marriage.
Free Case Review
When a truck accident lawyer in Baltimore MD proves that the trucker broke the law and harmed you as a result of their negligence, it’s your right to receive compensation. The amount of compensation is directly related to how you were harmed and the amount of your damages. Call the Greenberg Law Offices at (410) 539-5250 to learn the value of your case from an experienced Maryland truck accident lawyer.